There are many options to choose from when looking for watercolor ideas for beginners. So, you may find it difficult or confusing to decide on a subject to paint. There are still life, landscape, waterscape, or specific objects like flowers, fruit, vegetables, etc. compositions to consider.
I am sure you have heard the expression, “Do what you love.”
“To do what you love first find what you love.”~ Amit Kalantri
How To Find What You Love
- What are my favorite activities—things I like to do in my spare time?
- What are my favorite places to go: the beach, the park, etc.?
- What objects do I enjoy observing? What brings me pleasure to look at?
Then write your answers down in a list with your most favorite thing at the top as #1. Then list the rest by priority.
Use Free Stock Photo Websites
There are several websites online where you can find images to download for free, with no attribution required. These websites have a search box that allows you to enter your topic of interest and get results to browse. For instance, if you want to paint flowers, type “flowers” in the search box. You can even narrow the search down by color or type of flower that interests you. Here are my favorite stock photo websites:
- Download the stock photo to your computer.
- Open the saved stock photo in your graphic software or directly on your computer desktop.
- Draw an outline of the image on your watercolor paper.
- Select your watercolor paint colors to use for your composition.
- Begin painting.
My Favorite Thing To Paint
I love flowers, and that is what I enjoy painting the most. Using the stock photo websites mentioned above, I never run out of watercolor painting ideas.